Odrodzenie i Reformacja w Polsce [Renaissance and Reformation in Poland] will publish in 2021 a thematic issue devoted to European humanism from the fifteenth to the seventeenth century, with special focus on social contexts of humanism and its impact on personal role models, family, and personal upbringing. The Editorial Committee of this peer reviewed scholarly journal invites original full-length article submissions either in Polish or in English, as well as review articles and notes of publications on this topic.
Articles may address, but need not be limited to, the following themes:
- The vision of man, family and society in humanist writings, from the fifteenth to the seventeenth century.
- The discovery of childhood and its impact on the family life model.
- The influence of Desiderius Erasmus, Johannes Sturm, and John Amos Comenius on the development of modern pedagogy and ethics in universities and denominational schools.
- Methods of children’s upbringing and preparation of young people to public life in theory and practice; the renewal of education and upbringing by Leonardo Bruni, Pier Paolo Vergerio, Mikołaj Rej, Erazm Gliczner, Jan Seklucjan, Maciej Wirzbięta, and others.
- The reception of ancient role models; their impact on political ethics and family life.
- The evolution of women’s role in social and political life, and the change in their legal status in the early modern era.
- Humanistic education of political elites and state officials in the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth and other European countries; its importance as a career-stimulating factor.
- The use of humanist ideas and rhetorical models in early-modern political discourse and religious polemics.
- Artistic contributions, cultural and artistic patronage, book collections.
The articles should not exceed 55 000 characters and they should be submitted according to the guidelines and instructions on the periodical’s website at http://oir-ihpan.edu.pl/index.php?lang=pl).